There is a lot going on in Miami’s art scene this month, and — best of all — much of it is free. Below is a list of events through Oct. 15. If you have anything to add, let us know in a comment.
Thursday, Oct. 7
- LoweDown Happy Hour at Lowe Art Gallery University of Miami (1301 Standford Drive, Coral Gables); 7-9 pm; $10; Mix, mingle, and learn about Ancient Mesoamerican Art.
- “Writers Read” Open Mic Night at The Bookstore in the Grove (3399 Virginia Street, Coconut Grove); 7:30 – 9:30; FREE; “Writers Read Open Mic is open to writers of any genre. Arrive early to sign up to read. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org or (305) 281-4089 or www.write2theedge.com.”
Friday, Oct. 8
- Notes on a Passion for Collecting exhibit opens at Freedom Tower at Miami Dade College (600 Biscayne Blvd); 7 – 9 pm; FREE; “An exhibition highlighting more than 85 original works by more than 70 contemporary Cuban and Cuban-American artists.”
- Illustrated from sketch to finish at Bakehouse Art Complex (561 NW 32nd Street); FREE; 7 – 10 pm; “This exhibition will take you on a journey from the process to result of Illustration, as it follows the work of BAC illustrators Jean-Paul Mallozzi, Luis Diaz, Mike Rivamonte, Dan Fila, and Hugo Patao.”
Saturday, Oct. 9
- Art Walk in Wynwood and the Design District (NW 2nd Ave between 10th and 41st St.); All night; FREE; If you go to one art event this month, THIS IS IT. Music and people fill the streets and galleries stay open late. Go on, explore.
- Abstract Miami at The Center for Visual Communication (541 NW 27th Street, Miami); FREE; 7-9 pm; “The work is bold, vibrant, hot, and infused with color … like Miami itself. Miami is the focal point for this exciting development involving not only Darby Bannard but a new generation of highly skilled and intellectually challenging painters.”
Wednesday, Oct. 13
- Embracing Modernity, La Habana Moderna, Sequentia, and Selections from Anomie: 1492-2006 at The Patricia and Philip Frost Art Museum at Florida International University (10975 SW 17th Street, Miami); All four are FREE; 6 – ? pm; “Come celebrate the opening reception for four major exhibitions during Target Wednesday After Hours. The Museum will feature the opening reception for Embracing Modernity: Venezuelan Geometric Abstraction; Florida Artist Series: Selections from Anomie 1492-2006 by Arnold Mesches; Xavier Cortada’s Sequentia and La Habana Moderna in the Wolfsonian Teaching Gallery at The Frost Art Museum.”
Friday, Oct. 15
- A Sense of Place at Carol Jazzar Contemporary Art (158 NW 91st Street, Miami); FREE; 7 – 11 pm; Featured artists: Francis Acea, John Bailly, Ananda Balingit-LeFils, Cassie Marie Edwards, Mark Messersmith, Jonathan Rockford, Douglas Voisin, David Willett, Jessica Wohl, John Zoller.