Miami Critical Mass November 2010: Accidents Happen

By | November 27th, 2010 | 12 Comments
Photo of accident at Miami Critical Mass November 2010.

Hundreds of Critical Mass riders waited for an ambulance to arrive after one rider ate pavement near the bay.

Last night’s Critical Mass rolled 12 miles through downtown, Spring Garden, Historic Overtown, Wynwood, Design District, Midtown, and Edgewater, and ended with a short but picturesque loop on the Venetian Causeway. The best stretch was through Overtown, where the spectacle of approximately 300 cyclists overrunning Dorsey Avenue drew a crowd to the sidewalks. “G’damn, there’s a whole lotta you mothafuckas,” one guy said from the bus stop. The Midtown stretch took us past the Art Miami and Scope Art Basel tents, which, while still empty, were enough to get you excited for the art tsunami heading Miami’s way.

The one downside to the ride was an accident at Bayshore Drive and NE 21 Street. A few witnesses told me the rider was on her phone (or at least holding it) when her bike slipped out from under her, sending her head first into the asphalt. “It was not a bike accident,” one guy told me. “It was a careless accident.” In any event, several people attended to the fallen rider, who was crying and panicked, while others helped guide traffic through the crowd. The entire Critical Mass group stood by until the ambulance showed up about 10 minutes after the accident. “How are you?” the girl asked the EMT as he stood over her, assessing the damage. “Better than you,” he said. I heard her laughing as we pedaled toward Venetian.

As usual, the ride wound up at BAR (the drinking establishment formerly known as PS-14), where cheap beers and BBQ awaited. Besides the accident by the bay, I heard about a few other minor spills and one corker getting hassled by a cop in an unmarked car and possibly ticketed. So it was a a bit of an eventful ride, but a beautiful one for the most part. Here are some pics from the action-packed evening.

Corker photo

Critical Mass rider

Overtown ride
Up Dorsey Avenue.
Waiting for ambulance
Waiting for the ambulance to show up …
Still waiting for ambulance
… still waiting …
EMT
To the rescue.
Venetian Causeway
Back across Venetian.

Bike of the Month

StingRay
It’s a replica Sting-ray, but still pretty sweet.

All photos by Robby Campbell. To view photos from past Critical Mass rides, click HERE.

12 Comments on “Miami Critical Mass November 2010: Accidents Happen”

1. 1 Collin said at 3:57 am on November 27th, 2010:

Great review of the ride. Great pictures :)

2. 2 xcoeuramerx said at 5:07 am on November 27th, 2010:

The girl corking was hassled for obstructing traffic and not having her helmet on when the cop came up to her. He let her off with a warning, wanted our “leader” to know that he knows and that he’s letting everyone know at precinct.

quite ridiculous to stand and listen to all that rot come out of his mouth.

3. 3 Jordan Melnick said at 10:25 am on November 27th, 2010:

Thanks Collin. It was harder to get shots with the light switch. And being on a bike. We need a helmet cam.

4. 4 Jordan Melnick said at 10:29 am on November 27th, 2010:

Glad she didn’t get a tick. Our leader? He must have been looking for Spider Boy.

5. 5 Rockit said at 2:40 pm on November 27th, 2010:

I wasn’t ticketed but genuinely harassed. Really, it took everything not to laugh my ass off when he was making the “take me to your leader” comments. He tried to just ruin my night by stranding me in Overtown, but I was lucky enough to have had a fellow rider wait it out for me. We caught the Mass again in Midtown thanks to friends with cell phones.

6. 6 The Dudeguy said at 3:38 am on November 28th, 2010:

as always, wish i was there. AGAIN.
    Rockit, that comment is pretty freakn hilarious.

7. 7 Jimbo said at 11:26 am on November 28th, 2010:

The ride was actually pretty cool. Hope the girl who fell is doing ok. Hey Rockit, love the corking!!

8. 8 Dave said at 10:49 pm on November 28th, 2010:

Harassed? A cop asked you to wear a helmet (which is required) and stop blocking traffic. That’s his job. Was he supposed to massage your feet and tell you that you’re pretty? lol

Cry wolf much?

9. 9 KnowTheLaw said at 1:19 am on November 30th, 2010:

Hey Dave,

The blocking traffic thing is illegal, however helmets are not required by law unless you are under the age of 16.

10. 10 Dave said at 1:16 pm on November 30th, 2010:

Noted. Since the cop suggested it, I assume the situation warranted it. We don’t know the age or the rider, but the helmet requirement is hardly the point.

Police harassment is a serious issue. Unless there is more to this story, it sounds as if the officer was just doing his job. It sounds like Rockit should be thankful she didn’t get ticketed instead of making unfounded accusations. I would love to get more information from her to see exactly what she considers harassment.

11. 11 rockit said at 4:10 pm on November 30th, 2010:

For those who don’t understand the definition-

v. harass
    – to annoy or trouble (a person) constantly or frequently

I was not “blocking” traffic, there was a stop sign, I saw a car approaching the stop sign and went to speak to the driver asking to be patient for a minute while the riders passed, which they complied. As I turned my bike towards the group to rejoin them an unmarked police car sped through the riders aggressively, in my direction, I put my hand up, and the car slammed on the brakes just inches from my bike, I suppose to get my attention, which it did.
    The plain clothed officer jumped out of the car, at least I think he was an officer since he didn’t identify himself as one (however, I recognized him from past rides having behaved in the same manner). He immediately started yelling at me asking where my helmet was. I am NOT required to wear one because I am above the age of 15, according to Florida law, so I was a bit confused.

I said that my helmet was in my backpack, and I proceeded to take it out to try and diffuse the situation and comply to his demand. Then my identification was demanded and I was yelled at again about why I was blocking “HIS” streets. I proceeded to say that I wasn’t blocking anyone I was just letting the driver of the car know that there is a group of cyclists coming through.

No, I don’t think that he was supposed to massage my feet and tell me that I am pretty, really? Get a grip. I don’t need, or expect for that matter, coddling or reassurance from an aggressive ego-tripping cop. His job is defined as to serve and protect, right? This is ironic because he wasn’t concerned with the fact that he now has separated me from the group, which in my opinion endangered my safety in a neighborhood in which a woman riding alone at night, could be dangerous. I ride those streets all of the time so I knew that I’d find my way, but he wasn’t concerned with that at all. If this is his job, then I want my tax money back!

Also, a marked car arrived on the scene and the officer that got out of the car proceeded to say that riding in this neighborhood is bound to get someone killed.

Further, in my opinion this accusation is not unfounded and from my point of view it seems that I was targeted because I was not moving on my bike, I was simply stopped (the last time I looked stopping was not against the law), an easy prey and therefore felt harassed. I have no reason to idiomatically “cry wolf”, I have nothing to prove and really don’t like the attention, but I feel now that an explanation is needed.

I AM thankful that he didn’t ticket me, but he didn’t have reason to, although I’m sure he could have made something up had it not been for other riders who stopped and distracted his attention away from me.

This is when he started saying to “tell my leader” that he is on to us, and that he has done the research, blah blah blah. Which I replied that we have no leader, which he ignored and kept saying it, over and over. At this point I was holding in my laughter because he was so focused and closed minded about the situation and obviously allowing for his emotions to get the best of him.

I guess he calmed down enough to let me off on a warning and held on to my ID as he handed it back to me. I grabbed it, he held it, I let go. He shoved it back at me, I grabbed it, he held it, I let go. Think it happened three times all the while he reiterated that “ma’am, this is a warning”. And I say it is harassment.

You can believe and say what you want, I really don’t care, but before making accusations that I am crying wolf and sarcastically assuming that I am playing the damsel in distress victim here, learn the facts. It’s all hearsay at this point, this is my side of the story. I always say that there are three sides to every story, my side, their side and the truth.

12. 12 Jordan Melnick said at 4:34 pm on November 30th, 2010:

Rockit, thanks for sharing your side. Good to hear it from someone who was … present.