1. Metric (Dec. 1 @ 22nd Street Beach; FREE)
Iggy Pop’s 2007 Art Basel performance at the same seaside, sand-between-your-toes location made it hallowed ground. If Canadian New Wavers Metric bring even a dram’s worth of Iggy’s energy, this will be a damn good show. Learn more HERE.
2. Crazy Famous Art Basel DJ sets (Dec. 2 – Dec. 5)
- Nancy Whang of LCD Soundsystem (Dec. 1 @ Bardot) — Take a chance on this one for sure if only because it is one of the many places James Murphy may materialize this weekend.
- Mark Ronson (Dec. 1 @ LIV) — Learn more HERE.
- Perry and Etty Farrell, Chris Cox (Dec. 2 @ Bardot) — The Jane’s Addiction frontman, his wife, and Cox teamed up for Lollapalooza earlier this year as part of Farrell’s Precision Guided Musicians project. Like many PGM events, this one is invite only.
- Matt & Kim (Dec. 3 @ Bardot)
- How To Dress Well and Toro Y Moi (Dec. 4 @ Bardot)
- ?uest Love (Dec. 5 @ Bardot)
To learn more about the various Bardot DJ sets, click HERE.
3. Toyota Antics Presents Flosstradamus/Twin Shadow/Phantogram (Dec. 2 @ Grand Central; FREE with online RSVP)
Following the corporate trend, Toyota is summoning indie acts to attract that all-important youth demographic. These marketing tactics provide Miami with a free show of extraordinarily weird and awesome indie talent. Twin Shadow — aka George Lewis Jr. — is a must. Learn more HERE.
4. Suck It And See (Dec. 3 @ Electric Pickle; $??.??)
If its name and ridiculous flier aren’t enough of a draw, this show will also feature Mock & Toof and Eric Duncan (aka Dr. Dunks) off of James Murphy’s DFA Records. Learn more HERE.
5. The Misfits (Dec. 3 @ The Culture Room; $19.99)
This is not a bad price to see horror rock legends and swap out the Art Basel madness for a night. Worth it just to see if Jerry Only’s devilock wiggles. Learn more HERE.
6. No Age w/ the Band in Heaven (Dec. 3 @ Fountain Art Fair; FREE)
No Age returns eight months after playing Sweat’s fifth anniversary. Learn more HERE.
7. Cinema Sounds #7 (Dec. 10 @ Tower Theatre; $6)
Beings, Cop City/Chill Pillars, Axe & the Oak, and Bulletproof Tiger will perform live scores to film excerpts of their choosing projected on the big screen at Tower Theatre. Learn more HERE.
8. Lil Daggers/Psychic Mirrors (Dec. 10th @ The Vagabond; $10)
Learn more HERE.
9. Holidazed 2010 (Dec. 16 @ Churchill’s; $5)
ANR, Plains, Can’t Stop, Deaf Poets will rock Churchill’s oddly timed holiday party. Learn more HERE.
10. Zitfest I (Dec. 17 @ The Orange Door; $11)
Now this is a fest (take a hint MMF!): Guy Harvey, The Jameses, The Dewars, Plains, Lil Daggers, Cop City/Chill Pillars, the Band in Heaven, Jacuzzi Boys, TeePee, Snakehole, LLLR, Russian Tsarlag, Diet Cokeheads, Little Beard, Partial People. Weird Days, the video production ensemble that produced videos for Das Racist, Ducktails, Delorean, Morning Benders and others, is now on board to provide visual stimulation. Learn more HERE.
Click HERE to view more Top Ten Miami lists.