Photos from an endless Endless Summer

By | March 4th, 2011 | 42 Comments

The Band In Heaven

Despite organizer Sean Wouters’ insistence that Endless Summer’s 17-band lineup would progress like a military parade — 20 minute sets, 15 minute set-ups — the show was running two hours behind schedule and shedding disgruntled acts (Lil Daggers, por ejemplo) when I got to Grand Central close to midnight, proving once again that Miami is always later than you. I caught the Heartstrings, throwback punks with oldies alter egos; The Band In Heaven, WPBers who dress boredom up in reverb; and Psychic Mirrors, a tight and quasi-schticky synth soul ensemble (still figuring them out).

With attendance falling several hundred short of the 491 RSVP count on Facebook, Miami might still be recovering from last week’s demi-epic Bruise Cruise Kick-Off. I also suspect a high schoolish get-out-the-“Like” drive (there were quite a few PSATers in attendance). In any case, Endless Summer belonged in a smaller venue (Vagabond or Eve), not the Grand Central terminal.

So, yeah, the show was kinda a bust. I’m not sure if the five acts scheduled to follow Psychic Mirrors — Little Beard, Deaf Poets, Teepee, Ice Cream, Nick Scappa/ANR & Friends — ever took the stage, but, if so, Endless Summer II is still going on and will end sometime in May. (Now I get the name.)

This guy

The Psychic Mirrors’ better third

The Band In Heaven frontman Ates Isildak

The plucking Heartstrings

Score one for the anti-smoking contingent

Give the point right back

Who sold this guy a Red Bull?

Yup.

Gulp.

I defy you to figure this out.

All photos by Robby Campbell. See more on Picasa.

42 Comments on “Photos from an endless Endless Summer”

1. 1 Brett said at 1:33 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I actually thought Psychic Mirrors was the best band last night. This guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about, keep figuring them out you herb!

2. 2 Andrea said at 1:44 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I saw that last one outside… those two were eating each other’s faces for hourssss

3. 3 Jordan Melnick said at 1:48 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Andrea Me too, and it still took me a good 20 seconds to figure out what was going on in the picture this morning

@Brett I’m a herb because I didn’t instantly like your favorite band? Relax.

4. 4 Andrea said at 1:52 pm on March 4th, 2011:

sick pics tho! If psychic mirrors wasn’t your favorite, who was?

5. 5 Jordan Melnick said at 1:53 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Andrea Actually, I still haven’t figured it out. Whose arms are those?

6. 6 Andrea said at 1:57 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Jordan…. Arms?

7. 7 Andrea said at 2:02 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I’m guessing you’re talking about the 3 chick singer’s from psychic mirrors? I’ll help a brotha out. I know for sure that one in the middle is Cecilia de Cardenas, and the other two i’m basing off of their fb page–Teresa Liberatore, Michelle Noguera

8. 8 !!! said at 2:17 pm on March 4th, 2011:

ice cream dropped out due to the 2 hour delay (they were scheduled to play last)

9. 9 Jordan Melnick said at 2:19 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Nah, I was talking about the same face-sucking pic. My eyes are playing tricks on me. Re favorite band, of the three I saw last night probably Heart Strings. I didn’t not like Psychic. Just took me a sec to figure out if they were for real. There was a lot to take in. We actually shot some video of them, still working on it.

10. 10 Andrea said at 2:35 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Nah, don’t know the face suckers. Well, imo, the sound levels left something to be desired for all the bands last night. As a musician myself, I know that sound checks are key and the levels were off for every band that I saw, which unfortunately does affect the audience’s view of each band. I could be a little biased (I try to be as objective as possible) since I’m friends with some of the folks of psychic mirrors, but I feel they were the most tightly put together group I was present for. But in general, I agree that the vibe of last night was pretty bunk. It was only lively when psychic mirrors took the stage and funked it up. And the schedule running behind 2 hours was just ridiculous.

11. 11 Jordan Melnick said at 2:40 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I’ll give em this: they made the audience dance, which never happens in Miami. Their sound check was particularly long though, at least 30 minutes.

12. 12 name said at 2:52 pm on March 4th, 2011:

the secuity guard in the blue shirt and gold tie had that same uniform and facial expression for the bruise cruise. any pix of the bald guard that looks like the tuscon shooter?

13. 13 Brett said at 2:54 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Dude! Thats why you don’t like them because they had a kind of long sound check? There are like 12 people in that band! EVERYONE at the show thought they were the greatest last night. I saw them at Bardot too for the first time and they blew everyone away! That show was packed and had amazing energy. Again, last night’s energy was way off. Heartstrings were great too, but in my opinion they had nothing at all on psychic mirrors. The band in heaven was terrible, period.

14. 14 Jordan Melnick said at 3:13 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Brett I never said I didn’t like them, and I definitely never said I didn’t like them because of the long sound check. Yeah, heard they killed Bardot.

15. 15 Randy said at 3:22 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Damn, sounds like it was a bummer. Glad I missed it.

16. 16 Sloth of Agnar said at 3:27 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Wow. This is the dickiest review i’ve ever read for any reason. Why would you ever be so offensive? You’re not pitchfork, and the crude shit you talk just lowers the value of this pathetic website, although i’m sure when Endless Summer becomes an annual miami event and fills gc up every year, you’ll be kissing wooter’s nuts. Pathetic. Just like pitchfork, go ahead, give the flaming lips a 0 now and then change it when they make it big.

17. 17 Jordan Melnick said at 3:37 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Sloth If this is the dickest review you’ve ever read, you don’t read. As for annual music events in Miami, if you were offended by this review, definitely don’t read our MMF coverage.

p.s. You say “kissing nuts”, and I’m crude?

18. 18 Jordan Melnick said at 3:40 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@name Not sure which one you’re talking about. We posted more pics on Picasa. See if you spot him.

19. 19 Sloth of Agnar said at 4:33 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Yes Jordan, you are crude. Why does paying for a domain name and posting convoluted opinion on music give you the right to be a prick about events people worked hard on? CLEARLY you have no discernible musical ability or talent, otherwise you’d understand what it means when someone says things like you say about an event and bands that work hard to put their shows and songs together. Note: i’m not from any of the bands that played last night, but still a musician and i think that music review websites like yours can be one of two things, awesome non biased objective opinions and pros and cons, or a piece of shit domain name run by two almost aryan purists of music that disregard anything that’s not pitchforks best new album picked. Am i in the ballpark yet?

P.S. Yes, kissing nuts, like you do for The Jacuzzi boys or surfer blood.

20. 20 Internet said at 4:46 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Anyone can write whatever they want. Now get back to work people.

21. 21 Ronnie said at 5:19 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Regardless of the issues I wish I would have been able to make it to this show.I like most of the bands on this bill (haven’t had a chance to see them all).
    P.S. Grand Central kinda sucks huh?

22. 22 Jordan Melnick said at 5:31 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Sloth

“Why does paying for a domain name and posting convoluted opinion on music give you the right to be a prick about events people worked hard on?” Consult the Constitution. I think the Founders addressed that question early on, so you won’t have to read too many words.

“CLEARLY you have no discernible musical ability or talent, otherwise you’d understand what it means when someone says things like you say about an event and bands that work hard to put their shows and songs together.” If I had musical talent, I’d know something about organizing an event?

“music review websites like yours can be one of two things, awesome non biased objective opinions and pros and cons, or a piece of shit domain name run by two almost aryan purists of music that disregard anything that’s not pitchforks best new album picked.” That’s the two things they can be — awesome or Aryan? That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. (FYI: I’m half Jewish, half Puerto Rican, i.e., not Aryan.)

“Am i in the ballpark yet?” No. You’re in the embarrassing position of needing a phonics lesson at an advanced age.

“Yes, kissing nuts, like you do for The Jacuzzi boys or surfer blood.” Re Surfer Blood, see our review of their Bruise Cruise set HERE.

23. 23 Jordan Melnick said at 5:36 pm on March 4th, 2011:

@Ronnie I kinda like Grand Central. The Bruise Cruise Kick-Off there last week was awesome, and the lite-brite backdrop makes for really good photos. Don’t think it was right for this event though.

24. 24 Voice of Reason said at 7:43 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Jordan’s review was fair and (in my humble opinion) accurate. Grand Central sucks.

25. 25 vetran of the local scene said at 7:46 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Rule number 1 for local shows.. don’t book a million bands if you can’t handle the logistics. This kind of cluster fuck happens time and time again. Notorious Nasty was famous for this… and to be honest, a lot of local bands (not all of em) are not professional enough to be courteous to the other bands and wrap things up as fast as they can. Pre-madonnas always want to delay their performance in hopes that they get the best crowd sample. As if the crowd was there just for them (forget the 17 other bands). On top of that, if you are not running things like a drill sergeant, you will not keep things on schedule. Hopefully the organizer learned some lessons from this.

Rule number 2, Sound will always suffer without a good sound check and a good sound check takes time… unless everyone playing is a simple punk band, your show will sound like ass rape if you think 17 different bands are going to sound magnificent without a sound check or a with very fast one.

and Jordan, I don’t know you.. but keep on preaching your opinion. I hate it that this town gets all temperamental when someone is actually being CRITICAL. You don’t have to like everything and you have every right to spit out your opinion. People in this town need to learn how to debate, not get into ad hominem attacks.

26. 26 Sloth of Agnar said at 10:20 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Grand Central for life. Fuck the haters. At the end of the day there’s always a name for people who love music but couldn’t make it to save their lives. Music bloggers. Good night, and good luck.

27. 27 Cecilia said at 10:45 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I like Internet’s comment.

28. 28 Andrea said at 11:35 pm on March 4th, 2011:

I like Cecilia’s comment about Internet’s comment.

29. 29 someone who actually listens to music said at 11:37 pm on March 4th, 2011:

Grand Central = awkward space, incredibly expensive drinks, big night club pomp + circumstance, incompetent sound

p.s. @veteran, only thing missing from this was Otto Von Schirach slotted at 12:30

30. 30 name said at 12:33 am on March 5th, 2011:

actually gs has a great soundman (fred?). most soundmen only have to mix 2-3 bands per night, unless you are churchills. i was at the bruise cruise and the dude had to mix 9 bands and do the re-micing by himself. all in all he did well with a good attitude. you could tell he liked what he does. this es show looks like a major clusterfuck. 17 bands. if each band used the same backline, things would go well. but once you start changing things, time flys by fast and you are way behind. fyi, i was pretty impressed with the soundsystem. adamson cabinets, lab gruppen amps, digidesign mixer. the line array is a little small for the space. i think they did this on purpose so that you could go to the back of the room and sit and talk. all in all, gs is a great space. consider yourself lucky to be in there. because if they ever start doing well financially, this type of show will not be at this venue.

31. 31 grand sentral? said at 12:45 am on March 5th, 2011:

you mouthbreather

32. 32 Lol said at 3:12 pm on March 5th, 2011:

Jordan, I think you did a great job at reviewing the show and said what was on most people’s mind… I don’t understand why Sloth or Sean Wouters were upset over this review… It was honest and straightforward. The show WAS behind for 2 hours and it was not a good venue to host this kind of “festival.” Sure, they can excuse the delay because of the beginning acts being caught in “massive traffic” but where’s the explanation for the pathetic turnout? Just take the criticism and shut up.

33. 33 chris said at 5:31 pm on March 6th, 2011:

“grand central for life”? Sloth seems to be a part of mercenary group hired to protect the venue’s rep.

34. 34 Jordan Melnick said at 6:10 pm on March 6th, 2011:

Seriously — who claims a venue? I miss the ol’ East Side/West Side days.

35. 35 show sucked said at 11:20 pm on March 7th, 2011:

this show was terrible!! horribly planned and booked… so many uneccessary and shitty acts in the beginning, all the good bands played late… oh well whatcha gonna do.

36. 36 Sloth of Agnar said at 7:05 pm on March 8th, 2011:

Clearly people here have no love for where they go to see (or in jordan’s case talk shit about) music.

I love Culture Room and GC, fuck the rest.
    Fillmore’s okay too if The Mars Volta is playing, but fuck seeing someone boring like Imogen Heap there.

37. 37 yikes said at 1:52 am on March 9th, 2011:

who listens to the mars volta anymore???

38. 38 Sloth of Agnar said at 6:39 pm on March 9th, 2011:

Whoa, who ever stopped? They’re the mecca of modern music.

“who listens to ____ anymore?”
    Shouldn’t matter.

You should like music because it’s fucking epic not because people like it, pitchfork toting hipster scum.

Deuce

39. 39 VirginWhoCantDrive said at 6:44 pm on March 11th, 2011:

It’s a shame that the place was empty. The promotions for the “festival” were lacking. The best performance of the night was Psychic Mirrors. Ive seen them perform at both Bardot and Vagabond..a fucking blast every time. They get the crowd dancing and jamming to happy and classical music (the way it should be). It was shame that they performed so late. As for the “better third” comment..the ladies and the whole band are all very talented (no need to hate on the KIK for actually having the talent and creativity to create this gem called Psychic Mirrors). I can’t wait to see PM perform again. Fuck all the haters and clean your dirty hipster ears and turn down the fucking surfer blood because the best band in Miami is here.

40. 40 Jordan Melnick said at 9:19 pm on March 11th, 2011:

Did two people write this comment, the second being a Tourette’s sufferer? The “better third” comment was not a critique of the other members. I understand your confusion. The joke wasn’t very funny.

41. 41 Sloth of Agnar said at 3:43 am on March 12th, 2011:

Listen all you slimy blogo-hip-sta-matics. Clearly, everyone here is being critical of a show put on by two dudes who like to make music. Granted i’m not even a fan of theirs, but i know exactly where they’re coming from. Lets try to make up for the lack of local shows, lets try to bring some happiness to this pathetic musically devoid town. I mean, between Churchills and Vaga, all the shit bomb out of town garbage that rolls through here makes this town seem like the mecca of awful tunes. Then comes venues like Eve, and GC, and Bardot who bring The Roots, Erykah Badu, Sleigh Bells, Diplo, Curren$y, even VAMPIRE WEEKEND MEMBERS FOR A DJ SET. I’d honestly be surprised if Ratatat didn’t end up at Grand Central with their track record of bringing beautiful bands to Miami. And yes, beautiful. Bands that otherwise wouldn’t play here because Revolution only wants shitty Scene bands or Old timer grateful dead tribs. And Culture Room won’t even consider anything that’s not ska, metal or (when they get lucky) a prominent band’s frontman doing a solo set. So between bullshit like Panic Bomber polluting the fucking scene, i’m glad two dudes with a drumset, a guitar, and a howling black keys wannabe vocal, decided to do something nice for a change. If you guys like seeing Otto Von Shirach and Panic Bomber, be my fucking guest, but i personally want more of these Deaf Poet and Friends shows.

Dogs, meet Michael Vick. Arf Arf nigga.

Deuces.

42. 42 Sean Wouters said at 4:55 pm on March 16th, 2011:

I admit the show was a flop. I did my very best and yes I learned my lesson. I wanted to do something big and this review discourages me yet its pretty accurate so what can I say. I did everything by myself and its also true that promotional wise it wasn’t good at all. Last years MES was at Churchill’s and I packed the place with almost 500 people which was accounted for. It went pretty well and it was a lot of fun. I unfortunately didn’t do that this year but I wont stop trying. Churhill’s always smells like shit and I am kinda tired of the venue. Wanted to try to do it at a nice clean and great venue like Grand Central. Thanks Jordan for being honest I am not mad.