How deflating

By | June 18th, 2011 | 24 Comments

Via miamismpix.com: The Britto “Beach Ball” at the Miami Shores Country Club gets spiked.

24 Comments on “How deflating”

1. 1 chris said at 12:55 pm on June 18th, 2011:

rosa sincerely asks: “Was it Jordan?”

2. 2 Mike said at 1:02 pm on June 18th, 2011:

Labron and Brito have hooked up. Check it out.

3. 3 Jordan Melnick said at 1:53 pm on June 18th, 2011:

@Chris ha ha ha. I take no responsibility. Never mind the red flecks on my forearms. I killed a man last night. He was sticking up for Britto.

4. 4 CR said at 4:06 pm on June 18th, 2011:

Malice is never good, and success is going to Beached’s head. Be careful you don’t get too glib for your britches. When the kids from the neighborhood tag the art in Wynwood, it’s bad. Brito’s work belongs on the golf course. Leave it be.

5. 5 Jordan Melnick said at 4:16 pm on June 18th, 2011:

@CR Beached doesn’t have a head. Also, that’s a photo, not an endorsement. I think Britto is trash, but you won’t see me bombing his stuff. Flipping the bird, that’s a different story.

6. 6 CR said at 5:09 pm on June 18th, 2011:

I wasn’t crazy about the Minelli Streisand question either.

7. 7 Jordan Melnick said at 5:38 pm on June 18th, 2011:

@CR It was a real toughy.

8. 8 william said at 8:29 am on June 19th, 2011:

Not the dot-stripe-dot-pi pattern! Fools!

9. 9 Salman said at 8:35 am on June 19th, 2011:

I know nothing a about art. I do know one thing. Vandalism sucks.

10. 10 Jordan Melnick said at 11:03 am on June 19th, 2011:

@Salman Agreed, “vandalism sucks”, and a lot of people consider Britto’s omnipresence on the Miami landscape vandalism. Who decided this guy should define the Miami brand? On the other hand, defacing a possession resting squarely on private property — not cool.

I can’t make up my mind about this one, but I do know many a law-abiding Miamian smiles on this particular crime.

11. 11 chris said at 1:52 pm on June 19th, 2011:

@ william, HAH! don’t get too hung up on the destruction of the dot-strip-dot-pi pattern. it can be lovingly viewed on his various balloons, hearts, butterflies, and unicorns; not just the amazing beachball.

12. 12 alma said at 3:37 pm on June 19th, 2011:

I’m glad.
    I’m so sick of his so called art all over the place.
    vandalism, who cares. When “art” work it outside in a public or private area there are consequences that it can be damaged either by the weather or by the people, it’s part of the art.

13. 13 Jordan Melnick said at 10:20 pm on June 19th, 2011:

I’m not buying it, but a commenter over on Miamism is calling this a hate crime on account of Britto’s ethnicity (Hispanic) and (presumed?) homosexuality. I’m not completely sure he’s being sincere.

14. 14 D said at 8:54 am on June 20th, 2011:

So happy to see this

15. 15 DC said at 11:06 am on June 20th, 2011:

i think britto got famous in miami by people that live in the city loving, celebrating, and actually BUYING his work. sure, he has endorsements. but so does dwayne wade. how do you think he bought his momma a new crib? i hope they catch whoever did this because now just more shores cops are gonna be rolling around and that’s the last thing we need.

16. 16 Jorge said at 11:21 am on June 20th, 2011:

YES!!! Vandalism sucks, but I must admit, he spoke for me. If we could just get the city and the Dolphins to take down all of these cheesy Britto-brand patters all over the city.

17. 17 ED said at 2:42 pm on June 20th, 2011:

This piece is in front of a little kids’ waterpark. I think a colorful beachball is appropriate for this location. Even if you do not like Britto, that is pathetic. Let’s deface a kids’ park to show we have “real” taste in art!!! Nice job losers.

18. 18 EDB said at 4:57 pm on June 20th, 2011:

@Jordan Yes, it’s a hate crime. They hate him. And that’s hate I can get behind. Now if they would just decapitate that disgusting piece on I-95, maybe we could actually put some good Miami artists into public spaces, instead of the ones who know the magic of branding.

19. 19 Vice Herrera Bad Panda said at 5:26 pm on June 21st, 2011:

I don’t agree with destruction of someone elses artwork.. I don’t agree that Britto’s SHIT is not art.. I am tired of seeing his #CompleteSHIT everywhere.. There are many more commissioned/uncommisioned public artist worthy of some notice.. If you like where the “vandals” message/idea.. Checkout out #CompleteSHIT 8.13.2011 Wynwood

20. 20 Vince Herrera said at 8:50 am on June 22nd, 2011:

Damn android phone.. spelled my own damn name wrong up above. Vince Herrera.. Also known as King Bad Panda!

21. 21 Revulu said at 2:33 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

NOW it’s art

22. 22 John said at 12:00 am on June 30th, 2011:

It’s about goddamn time that someone did this. Fuck Britto. I hope someone does this to every piece of art in public. He had this coming. He has a monopoly on Miami’s public art space.

23. 23 mundotaku said at 12:49 am on June 30th, 2011:

At last someone had the guts to say that Brito is not art.

24. 24 Jordan Melnick said at 12:03 pm on July 30th, 2011:

Update via Miamism: The beach ball got spiked again.