Bye-Bye BAR

By | June 22nd, 2011 | 12 Comments

Two dudes take in the photography at the Vice Magazine Full Bleed party at BAR on Oct. 2.

BAR is closing. Not a bar. BAR. You know, the downtown drinking establishment commonly referred to as “Formerly PS14″ with the continually-changing decor, the never-changing grime, the toilet from Trainspotting, and the surprisingly pleasant back patio.

According to the New Times, BAR’s landlords (also the owners of its next door neighbor, the Vagabond) want another tenant at N.E. 14th Street and have asked BAR owner Al Moran to vacate after the July 4 weekend. For his part, Moran says he intends to reopen BAR in another Miami location because “[t]his city needs it.”

Only a fool gets attached to a Miami hangout. Another one either goes under or undergoes a rechristening every week. Nonetheless, I will miss BAR in its absence. It hosted several memorable events we covered over the last nine months and served as the backdrop to some choice photographs. It has also graciously welcomed hundreds of stinking Critical Mass cyclists with cheap beer and barbecue since I’ve been doing the ride.

For these reasons and more, we toast BAR’s 14th Street tenancy and its eventual resurrection with a handful of photographs taken in and around the joint. Cheers. (More photos after the jump.)

BAR Bike photo by Robby Campbell
taken after the November 2010 Critical Mass ride

BAR Diplo
taken at the Diplo show on Oct. 8

BAR Crowd
BAR’s aforementioned soothing back patio

BAR Halloween
taken after the Critical Mass Halloween 2010 ride

BAR Pointer
taken at the Vice Magazine Full Bleed launch party on Oct. 2

12 Comments on “Bye-Bye BAR”

1. 1 arielle said at 9:44 am on June 22nd, 2011:

this sucks. i like BAR.

2. 2 Leah said at 11:38 am on June 22nd, 2011:

I wish there were more information about the nature of the dispute. Did the landlord want to increase the rent?

The larger point you make about not becoming attached to any establishment, though, is a pretty sad state of affairs. How are we ever to establish a sense of place with such high turnover?

3. 3 Jordan Melnick said at 12:36 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

@Leah, we need to improve public transportation, making it easy for people to frequent favored establishments. Also, it would seem hard for a place to survive if its target client doesn’t live in the neighborhood. BAR’s in the middle of “nowhere” appeal may also have been a handicap. I passed by on many a weeknight and saw the place deserted.

4. 4 Leah said at 3:04 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

Yeah… and BAR didn’t exactly cater to the Arsht Center clientele, either, huh?

5. 5 Jordan Melnick said at 3:11 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

@Leah I seem to remember a Wicked after party.

6. 6 Duran said at 5:02 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

BAR isn’t closing down, according to Al Moran. I spoke with him and he said he was already looking at other property and he is 100% sure it’s coming back. I also spoke with several employees who told me the venue was making very good money every night so the theory of it being in financial trouble because of it’s in “middle of nowhere” location isn’t valid.

The move is happening because both parties failed to come to a mutual agreement that would beneficial to everyone. Details are lacking because I haven’t seen any documentation saying exactly what were the disagreements (even though several people have told me), hence I didn’t go into it further in my New Times story.

But I can say this, I don’t get the feeling that the building’s owner (i.e. same people who own Vagabond and many other South Florida clubs & bars) wanted another tenant, as you point out in your story, Jordan. I do get the feeling that they are in the mindset of running a sound business and they are going to do whatever makes financial sense to them.

7. 7 Jordan Melnick said at 5:13 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

@Jose I think you’re splitting hairs on both the opening/reopening and the tenant details. As for the latter, I’m sure the owners don’t want the space to sit empty. As for the former, Moran’s intention to reopen is stated. And I don’t know anything concrete about BAR’s finances, but, anecdotally, there were some nights when it was all but empty and could not have been making very good money.

That said, the point of this point was not to break the news — you did that — but to commemorate the place with a few photographs.

8. 8 Duran said at 5:23 pm on June 22nd, 2011:

Totally understand and respect that. Just wanted to clarify a few things.

9. 9 Leah said at 12:15 am on June 23rd, 2011:

@Jose Well, on the bright side, it does sound like in his conversation with you, he really wanted to emphasize that he would be continuing his business. So, if the community is loyal enough to accommodate the location change, maybe they will prove Miami cynics wrong.

10. 10 required name said at 12:45 am on June 23rd, 2011:

jacuzzi boys during art basel was one of the best shows i have ever seen. beer flying. stage diving. monitor speakers flying. mosh pit. people smuggling in large bottles of booze (oh yeah, that was the bruise cruise at grand central also)..

11. 11 insider said at 6:50 pm on June 24th, 2011:

yeah, BAR was successful, they wanted to stay, they wanted a new lease. rent cost was not an issue.
    building owner was not in any rush to agree to anything.
    it was becoming more obvious that they want the space for their own bar.

12. 12 Jordan Melnick said at 12:07 pm on June 30th, 2011:

Update: Despite two planned closing parties over July 4 weekend, BAR is officially closed.