As it turns out, Twitter could handle an Arab Spring but it couldn’t handle Saturday’s Miami Bike Hunt, which sent 100 two-person teams of prize-hungry cyclists throughout South Beach to conquer a list of whacked-out challenges (for example, “Photograph a lemur in a diaper” — turns out there were two on Lincoln Road).
Our onslaught of #bikehunt305 tweets, numbering in the thousands, reached at least 60,000+ people and garnered nearly 700,000+ impressions, according to hashtracking.com. Considering those lofty figures, it’s no wonder many Hunters slammed up against Twitter’s image-uploading limits toward the end of the event.
Despite the technical difficulties, plenty of spectacular photos — somewhere in the range of 3,000, by my count — did make it online, and every team that participated racked up hundreds of points, with the top seven teams winning a prize.
But before I announce the winners, I want to thank every single Hunter who came out and made the event so fun. Without your gusto for Bike Hunt glory, to say nothing of your expertise in Britto stink-eying, it would have fallen flat.
I also want to thank all of our super sponsors: Republic Bike, Grolsch (which hosted the after party at Purdy Lounge), DecoBike, Miami Beach Cinematheque, Fillmore Miami Beach, Panther Coffee, Green Monkey, and Sweat Records.
A few Huntresses having some well-deserved Grolsch brews at the Purdy Lounge after-party. — photo by @grolschmiami.
Finally, a huge thanks to our Miami Bike Hunt partners, Emerge Miami, for helping the whole way through.
Enough gratitude! It’s time to hand out the hardware. Here are the winners, with the grand-prize-winning team listed last.
1. The prize of a pair of $10 Sweat Records gift cards goes to … Team @Dr_Rubski for their 915-point showing!
2. The prize of a pair of $25 Panther Coffee gift cards goes to … Team @BeachedJulia for their 930-point showing!
3. The prize of a pair of tickets to see Regina Spektor at the Fillmore Miami Beach on Saturday, November 17, goes to … Team @Nicolet305 for their 940-point showing!
4. The prize of a pair of one-year memberships to the Miami Beach Cinematheque AND two pairs of tickets to any of its upcoming Buster Keaton screenings goes to … Team @Melaniefadden for their 965-point showing!
5. The prize of a five-pack of yoga classes for two at Green Monkey goes to … Team @SobeVegChick for their 975-point showing!
6. The prize of a pair of one-year deluxe DecoBike memberships with helmets goes to … Team @AlmondFight for their 1,005-point showing!
7. And the grand prize of a pair of $400 Republic Bike Gift Cards goes to … drum roll please … Team @Lum001 for their 1,010-point showing!
A big CONGRATULATIONS to all the prize winners. We will be in touch with you by email later today to explain how you can claim your prizes.
To everyone, thanks again for kicking ass on Saturday! And look out for the next Hunt! We don’t know exactly when it will be, but it won’t be too long. Until then, you can check out many more photos from the Hunt on the Beached Miami Facebook page.
Finally, for the scores of you who were staring at my Wolfcyclist shirt in envy on Saturday, click on the image below to Get Your Wolf On. The wolf, after all, is nature’s most fearsome hunter.